Saturday, April 23, 2011

Craft Room Re-Organization!

Hello All! 

Ok, so I am going to dive right in.... 

First, Happy Easter! 
(and because this is my blog and this is a free country) 

This is the day the Lord has made... let us rejoice and be glad!

So, I am sure you all know how much I love to organize. I mean, I think I like to organize about as much as I love to play with glitter... and you know how much I love me some glitter! 

So, recently I talked my Dad into helping me create an amazing home office and craft area. I needed lots of counter space and even more REACHABLE storage space. You crafters know what I am talking about.... if I don't see it and I can't reach it ... I don't use it. Thats a fact. So, I am constantly finding ways to make my collection of stuff accessible. My Dad and I talked about different layouts and ways we could go about mixing pre-made organizational storage units with some ol' fashion wood working. Our first stop was the Container Store... if you don't know about the Container Store, it's a home organization store that has every organization thing you could think of ... and a whole bunch of stuff you never knew existed but totally needed! But, the catch is... it's $$$$. So, we we're originally going just for some inspiration.

As a side note, I want to mention that if you are a heavy crafter like myself... it is so challenging to find furniture that is going to fit crafty stuff and works for the hobby. I'm sorry, but my stuff would never fit in a hutch.... and I live in San Diego where homes aren't brand new with built in craft rooms.. as nice as that would be... So, I was ready to spend some money... b/c lets face it.... I have been in this hobby for 10+ years and I finally need a room that fits my hobby/work life. 

Long story short... My Dad and I were sold on the container store and thought we could put in our own countertops and make this a totally custom hobby room. 

I'll show some photos .... give you some links... and give you an idea of pricing....just in case this might be just what you were looking for!



It's a U-shaped office desk... with two stand alone desks at either end. One desk is a stand up desk and one is a sit down desk.



The whole unit runs over 11 feet with the 
two desks being 3x6 (sit down) and 2x4 (stand up) 

It has a complete over the desk hanging shelve system... 
and baskets under the counter that run the length of the 11 feet. 


I am still hanging shelves and 'moving in' 
but here is another angle of the stand up desk. (above) 


The baskets and the counter are about 2 feet wide (a little less 22inches) and leave me a ton of space to work!

It's also the perfect standing height for me. (at about 3 and a half feet) 

Sorry for the blurry picture...


But, here is an idea of the storing space. 


So, in the end we bought the base units 
and the hanging unit at the Container Store.

You can find the system: Here

To give you an idea of price... we bought 6 base units 
and a complete hanging unit above and it was around $1,500. 

My Dad built the counter tops with oak plywood. 
(Using a clear polyurethane finish to make sure it would last) 

The countertop cost was around $250 
(for wood, paint, brushes, nails, a new saw blade, sand paper...etc.)

So, for around $1,750... 
I got a custom office/craft room that actually fits 
my stuff and is going to allow me a lot of room to grow! 

I know it seems like a lot for a room... but, I figure... how much stuff did I buy that I never used b/c I forgot I had it ... or didn't have the space to keep it out. (like several die cutting machines)???? 

This way... I'm actually USING what I buy... really! 

Here was the first card made in my *new* space! 

Hopefully you found some of this useful!


Thanks for sticking with me for this long winded blog post...

I have more big news soon and I have been collecting for my over-due 100th post give-a-way... it's going to be good!

Stay tuned~

Cheers, 
N. 

10 comments:

  1. oh so envy on your work space! love the idea of basket drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome. I can only imagine what can be done. I'll be watching and waiting.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your craft room, awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE te room. I know what you mean about USEABLE storage. I have often dreamed of a unit that was say 15x15 and wrapped all the way around me with bins and shelves and drawers all over. A wrap around desk and built in sound system. Lot of plugs and a small fridge for my water. A shoot for garbage (don't want to waste good space on trash.) Then when I would HAV to get out,one of the walls wuld be hydraulic by the punch o a button and would open. I thought this invention would serve many purposes, 1) NOBODY could get in to interupt my GENIOUS, LOL, no "MMMMMMOOOOOOOMMMMM" or "HONEY , when will dinner be ready? or knock knock knok on door, ring ring ring of phone, bark bark bark of dog, ting ting ting of clothsdryer...etc you get the picture....
    No one could "borrow" my scissors, tape, printer, etc for a "project"
    and not put them back.
    Organization Organization Organization.....
    In any event CONGRATS on your new space..I know you will love it. Happy Crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your craft room, Nicole!!! CONGRATULATIONS, and yes, I'm totally jealous! Awesome girl;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my... this is just AMAZING! I LOVEd this post. You have an INCREDIBLE space! I want to move in! I LOVE the whole concept and idea. I really think the $$$ is totally worth it! You can now see what you have or don't have( which many crafters, like myself, double buy) and so reachable! GREAT JOB to you and your Dad! Just LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! There is nothing long winded about sharing great ideas and this design is fabulous! It's the first thing I will show my DH when he gets up! LOL! I can't wait to follow your blog (See my post for your give away). Your cards are so cute and there is inspiration everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing - I love photos of crafty spaces for future dream craft room ideas. Your room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totaly understand that if you don't see I wont use it issue, lol Love it all!!!
    Haidee Shableau

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to say hi! --- Hello and thank you right back at-cha!