Monday, April 19, 2010

Tsukineko Spritzers vs. Glimmer Mist

Misting is the new (or not sooo new) 'it' technique. And with every fad that hits the industry there is multiple companies with similar products hoping to out do the others. Today I review two brands of misters...spritzers... color spraying thing-ies.... 

 Let the Battle of the Spritzer and Mists BEGIN... 


First, lets talk facts... 

Tsukineko Spritzers come in a package of two (different) .27 oz bottles... 

The boxes look like this...


The spritzers look like this...


I'm sure these little bottles look familiar if you ever owned the empty misting bottles...

The cost on these is around 7.00. 

However I can buy them at Joann's and this week the special was 40% off and I had an extra 20% off coupon. So, they ran me about 3.75. 


The Glimmer Mists come in a large variety of colors and are purchased in 2oz bottles singly. 

Like this....


They run $6.99 and I have only found them at my local scrapbook store, (which isn't so local... 30+ minutes away) 


So, according to my math... 

Tsukineko Spritzers are considerably more expensive per ounce than Glimmer Mists. (unless you got the deal that I got at Joann's)

And here are my spraying results. 


First the Glimmer Mists (the gold and pearl on black paper)

 

Really good coverage, that was only 3 to 4 sprays. A little blotchy and not very even. Also, if you wanted it on a specific place on your project, forget it. This mist goes everywhere, fast. It has a large spray. 

Now the Tsukineko Spritzers ( Shimmers on Black Paper)



First, I would like to add the disclaimer that the little blotchy patches you see on this one was the result of never spraying the bottles before. Once I got them going the spray was even and had a consistent fine mist. They don't have a very large spray area, as you can see... but I felt like these were really a 'mist'. 


Next: COLOR

Here are the Glimmer Mists (please ignore the paper creasing... that was operator error)




So, again this was like 2 or 3 sprays for each color. Also, the blotches are kinda something that Glimmer Mists just do. The mist isn't as fine and tends to go everywhere. Great color saturation. 


Here is the Tsukineko Spritzers ( Also called Walnut Ink ) 




Again, there is a lot more control and the misting seems to be more of an actual mist and less of a spray. The colors came out dark and bright and very true to what color was on the package. Because it was more of a mist it wasn't as wet and required less drying time. 




Final thoughts and winner:

Ok, so I really thought that the Glimmer Mist was going to kick some Tsukineko butt. 
BUT
Wow, the Tsukineko is everything I hoped a color mister would be. I feel like I have more control and the mist is a true mist. I feel like I can use it at my work space without covering everything so as to mot make a mess. 
The only downfall is the price and if you wanted to cover a large area it would take a lot. 
So, maybe for the larger projects I might stick with Glimmer Mist. But, otherwise... Tsukineko has my #1 spot. 

Thanks for reading... tell me what you think!

Cheers.
N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to say hi! --- Hello and thank you right back at-cha!